Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Type Compositions Reflection


I had never used Photoshop before taking this course. The difference in scale between what I knew two weeks ago and what I know now compares rather well to my fifth type composition. That being said, I find it intuitive (at least on a Mac, can’t speak for the PC version) and incredibly fun. In design I have always loved it when there are enormous differences in scale and many of my composition represent that love. Everyone loves tiny things; I think we all yearn to be small again in someway.

Speaking of intuitive, working with layers wound up being just that. As I was working on these compositions, I realized that I delineate parts of my life into layers, too, though never exactly realized it. Working on bicycles can be similar to using Photoshop in that you can break the bicycle and its respective repairs down into tasks or layers. The background layer is cleaning all the dirt, dust, mud, road grime, etc. off to get it to a “working” base, of sorts. After that comes many other tasks, many of which need to be “applied” in a certain order because they interact with and affect the other tasks. Of course it is much easier to go back and change a layer in Photoshop than on a bicycle, but the general idea is the same. Naming the layers certainly helped, as did turning the visibility off and on when needed.

In most of my compositions, the letters wound up being the figures more than the ground, although in some they were both. I liked the idea of breathing life into an object that usually does not see any. The A’s in number four are supposed to be salmon swimming up stream, and the little A’s climbing the big one are obvious mobile and alive. I’ve always thought that little things have a tendency to look very much alive when juxtaposed with much, much larger things, as shown in number five and number two. Life is wherever we choose to find it and finding it in letters was exciting and fun.

(all of my projects and essays for DMF1 are also found under "BLAHjects for DMF1 under the header image!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment